Thursday, May 19, 2011

DIY Fabric Magnet Board

Number 5 on My 30 Before 30 List is to complete 20 do-it-yourself projects.  I've had a few ideas rolling around in my head but I haven't had the time to complete any of them thanks to those pesky law-school finals.

However, today I made a fabric magnet board for my sister's bedroom (which is pink and black).  It was very easy and cheap to make and I'm happy with the way it turned out.  Want to know how to make your own?  Here you go!

Here's a list of everything you'll need in order to complete your fabric magnet board:
  • A Frame (I purchased a mirror at an antique store for $3 and used the frame from it.)
  • Fabric (I purchased mine from Jo-Ann's.  Click here to find one near you.)
  • Hot Glue Gun & Hot Glue
  • Sheet of Galvanized Steel (I purchased mine from Lowe's for around $10.)
  • Scissors or Metal Sheers (I used regular scissors and they worked fine.)
  • Piece of Foam Board (I purchased mine from Jo-Ann's.  Click here to find one near you.)
  • Spray Paint (and primer if needed)

1) Start by wiping down your frame to remove excess dirt or chipped paint.


2)  Set it up to be spray painted the right way.  Now, the reason I'm including this step is because, while I'm sure all of you already know not to set the item you'll be spray painting directly on the paper because it will get stuck, I learned this lesson the hard way.  


3)  Next, prime it.  I primed the frame using Rust-Oleum and added a second layer after it dried for good measure.  


4)  Next, measure and cut your foam board to fit perfectly inside the frame.  After I did this, I placed it inside the frame just to make sure I measured correctly.  Feel free to skip that part of this step, but I just don't trust myself.  



5)  Get ready to cut your sheet of galvanized metal.  Note:  For this step and any other step where you directly handle the metal wear gloves to avoid getting cut!  

Before cutting I traced around the foam board onto the metal.  Then I measured about 1/4 an inch inside the line I had traced, making the steel slightly smaller than the foam board.  



6)  Now your primer should be dry, so it's time to make your frame pretty!  I applied a semi-gloss spray paint (again I chose Rust-Oleum) and allowed it to dry before applying a second coat.  The frame is now complete!  :)


7)  Glue the sheet of metal to your piece of cut foam board using a hot glue gun. 


8)  After ironing the fabric to get out all the lines and creases, lay your fabric face down and began gluing it to the back of the foam board.  It helps if you have an extra set of hands on this part to insure you pull the fabric tight enough to keep the fabric from sagging or wrinkling.   


9)  Finally, you're ready to place the fabric-covered magnet board into the fame!  I think I jumped for joy when I completed mine because I'm now one step closer to finishing My 30 Before 30 List!



10)  Put that cute little thing to work!  

Now, everyone knows the basic uses of magnet boards, such as holding pictures, receipts, and cards, but Shelterness suggests using a magnet board to hold your makeup!  GENIUS!!  

It's easy!  Just purchase a roll of magnet tape and stick a small piece onto each of your makeup items!

Look at this awesomeness and tell me this isn't a fantastic idea?!  What a great way to get all of that makeup out of that drawer and off your bathroom counter!


Stevie hasn't decided how she's going to use hers yet, but that's her job.  My job here is done!

Special thanks to Shanty 2 Chic for creating the tutorial that helped me through this DIY project 
and allowed me to share my experience with my readers! :)

1 comment: