Saturday, March 26, 2011

Spring Breaking in Branson

My mother, sister, husband, son, and I loaded up the Envoy last Sunday and spent the week in Branson for Spring Break.  We had a great time and it was a much needed break from reality.

A few hours into our road trip to Branson we passed this sign.


I convinced the gang we should go see what this was all about.  And after going a few miles down the scariest curviest road ever, we came to this.


After a $5 entry fee per person, we were able to walk down a path and view the bridge, which has formed out of rock.  Here she is.  Pretty neat, huh?


Just so you get the idea of how big it is, here's my mother and sister standing in front of it.


Of course, we took other pictures while on the trail.  It was a beautiful day outside and the perfect spot to stretch our legs.

From left to right:  My sister, Stevie, me, and my mother, Donna.  And of course, we can't forget to mention my son Maddox standing behind my sister.  ;)


Somehow my hubby, Robert, always manages to get Madd to smile in pictures with him while I'm stuck with the funny faces.  




My child meditating on top of a rock overlooking the woods.  I love that kid.


Before we knew it, we were at the condo.  We stayed at The Escapes! in Branson.  It was small, but the couch folded out into a queen-sized bed and the price was too great to pass up.  Plus, the location was perfect.  It was just a few miles from everything and since it was located on a lake, it didn't have the feel of being in such a tourist rich area.  So here's the condo.





Madd loved the play area.


And of course, we all loved the lake.


Everyone was obviously very happy to be on vacation.  This is all of us on one of the fishing and swimming docks.





We got to the condo just in time on Sunday to watch the sunset from the swings by the lake.  It was a perfect end to the day.


 Or, maybe this was.  It depends on who you ask.


It's easy to sum up Monday.  We did a little bit of shopping and a whole lot of this.












It was hard to get into the boats.  But it was even harder to get out of them.


We were all four soaking wet and cold, but we had a great time!



Tuesday we visited the Titanic museum, which was great.  I spent over three hours in there reading everything.  But, since we couldn't take cameras in there (boo) I have no pictures of our visit there.

But never fear, I did capture the best thing that happened that day on film: my mother taking my dare to jump into the lake that morning.

As we walked down to the dock, I kept waiting for her to turn around but she was pumped up and ready to go!


The water was choppy and the wind was crazy.  


But that didn't stop her.  She set down her towels and took off her shoes.  I still kept waiting for her to say she wasn't going to do it.


But then, with no warning...  this happened.


The first words she said when she came up were, "Brrrr.... coldddd!!"  Of course, we were all laughing hysterically on the deck.


After drying off a little...


...and describing to us exactly how cold that water was... 


...she was back to her rockstar self again!  [Have I mentioned how much I love my mother?]


Wednesday we did some more shopping and visited the Dixie Stampede.  But, since I shared the highlight of that day in this blog post, I'll move right along to Thursday.

Thursday was Silver Dollar City day.  I didn't snap too many photos because we spent a lot of the day waiting in line but here are a few of the highlights (minus my mother and Maddox freezing in wet clothing after deciding that a water ride was a good idea even though it was chilly outside).











Friday was our last full day in Branson and we'd planned on spending it at Silver Dollar City as well but it was too cold due to a storm that had blown through Thursday night.  

So, we did did some packing... 




And later on found a great burger place to eat at called Fall Guys.  Robert and I ended our last evening there by going to see The 12 Irish Tenors perform while my mom, sister, and Madd visited a dinosaur museum.  

So this morning, we loaded up to come home.  Robert drove while the rest of us did a lot of this.


Well, that is until this sweet little thing crossed our path.  


I only got a glimpse of her for a second but that was all I needed to tell just how skinny she is.  I had Robert turn the car around so we could feed her some lunchmeat we had packed for the trip home.  After seeing her close up, we realized just how bad of shape she was in.  And, because she seemed really sweet and just scared, hungry, and exhausted we put her in the truck with us after we fed her.

After her bath, she warmed up by the fire while Robert and Stevie removed over 50 ticks from her.  There's no telling how long she had been abandoned or how much longer she could have survived had we not found her.  Her spine is clearly visible, as are her ribs.



Here she is on our deck after finally getting dried off from her first bath.  She is weak but she is so incredibly sweet.  It's amazing that despite what she's been through she trusts us to help her.  Isn't she pretty?


Monday we'll be taking her to the vet to have her examined and to get her vaccinated.  I'm sure he'll want to put her on antibiotics as well due to the possibility of infection from the tick bites and the large cuts on her belly that aren't completely healed.  Poor girl.

So, that sums up spring break in Branson!  It was a wonderful week, and we're happy to be home and to have this sweet, sweet little girl with us.  I'll be sure to keep everyone up to date on her progress and whether or not she becomes a permanent member of our family.

Update:  Want to find out what happened to this dog?  You can read about it here.

1 comment:

  1. i love branson! i miss living in arkansas so it was closer. i lived in greers ferry my whole life, until i was 18. i've lived in jonesboro on and off for the last 5 years- although i'm in tennessee now. we went to branson with my grandparents last summer, although i didn't get to do much because i was so so pregnant. my daughter got us kicked out of the butterfly palace, go figure. she wouldn't stop touching the little fat waddle birds. how embarrassing!

    ReplyDelete