Sunday, December 25, 2011

I'm Just Here for the Free Music

I could really relate to this submission to Post Secret.  Although I'm not an atheist, I've yet to find a church that really nails (no pun intended) my beliefs in God.  I won't get into them here (because that's a whole post in and of itself) but I do long to find one (hence the reason behind number 10 on my 30 before 30 list.)

Growing up, I was raised southern baptist.  Although going to church was something I never looked forward to, I always loved the music.  In fact, you never had to beg me to go on a Sunday night, because Sunday nights consisted of about 30 minutes of singing hymn after hymn and then 15 to 20 minutes of a sermon.

I miss church, a lot.  I miss the friendships.  I miss the sense of community.  I miss the volunteering.  And I even miss hearing certain sermons, such as those about love, forgiveness, and kindness.

I really do miss those aspects of being a part of a church.  But the one thing that stands out in my mind the most is how much I miss the music.

 I loved hearing everyone sing, from the great to the not-so-great.  I always got so excited anytime the music director would say, "Now turn your hymnal to page 251," and I would realize that I knew the harmony to that song.  I miss the everyday church music, and I especially miss the CHRISTMAS music.

To hear the choir and the congregation belting out some of my favorite gospel music is an experience I don't get anywhere else.  And I miss it.  I really, really miss it.

So, although I'm not atheist, I can completely relate to the poster of the card above.  Gospel music kept me in church for as long as it did, and is likely to play a large role in the reason behind why a certain temple/church ends up being "the one" that lets me cross off number ten.

Secret Sunday is a series of posts inspired by the weekly submissions to Post Secret.
Click here to visit OR click here to visit other posts by this author in this series.

No comments:

Post a Comment