Sunday, January 15, 2012

Hippies Over Cell Phones

ANNOUNCEMENT:  Secret Sunday is now a linky!
Please check out the linky info below & join me! :)



When I saw this Post Secret submission, I knew it was the one I just had to write about!  I catch myself thinking about how differently my mother grew up than I did, and in return, about how differently my son is growing up than I did.  

My six-year old can't comprehend a world without cell phones.  (Mom, what's a phone booth?)  In fact, he can't comprehend a world without smart phones.  Off the top of my head, he is exposed (in some way or another) daily to three smart phones, two laptops, two iPods, an iPad, a Nintendo DS, and a Nintendo Wii.  

Technology is great.  Don't get me wrong, I love it.  But you have to wonder just how big of an impact it's having on your child's life when he asks you if he can bring the DS with him for a car ride to the store.  

I want his passions to be about politics and current events, not a video game.  And when I think of hippies--true hippies--I think of the reasons for their passions and reasons behind their "rebellion" from the norm.  

So, although technology is a blessing in many ways, it can also be a very powerful force in our lives that we need to stay conscious of.  As many other parents probably know, it can be hard to combat the prevalence of electronics in a child's life, but we're trying to do our part.  

In fact, just two weeks ago I announced that one of my resolutions is to designate at least a one our period per day where no one is allowed to use electronics.  This "rule" applies to all of us, not just my son.  I want to make sure we all stay conscious of how much we're plugged in.  

Although I can't bring back the 60s and the 70s for my son (or me for that matter), I can make sure that he realizes that he can survive without electronics, and I know I have to start now.  I have to start now while electronics aren't a "must" but are just something we do to have fun.  So, continue to wish me luck with my resolution!  


Secret Sunday is a series of posts inspired by the weekly submissions to Post Secret.
Click here to visit postsecret.com OR click here to visit other posts by this author in this series.


--------

Now for the Linky info!

I am a huge fan of www.postsecret.com.  In case you're unaware, Post Secret is a blog that is comprised of anonymous secrets that are mailed to the blog owners address each week in the form of post cards.  New submissions are posted each Sunday.  

I started Secret Sunday four weeks ago, after realizing that I should be writing about how much I'm inspired by the submissions.  There's not a single week that I am not inspired or touched in some way.  On many occasions, I can also relate to some of the submissions on a personal level.  

So, each Sunday I post the secret that stood out to me the most, and I use it as a writing prompt.  Now, you can join me!  

How to Link up:
  1. Go to http://www.postsecret.com and check out this week's secrets.  [Optional:  Save the image of the submission you choose to write on, and include it in your post.]
  2. Write your amazing blog post.  Please be sure to mention that it's for Secret Sunday.  :)
  3. Link up below!
  4. Visit the link of someone else to see what he/she wrote about and share some bloggy love!
Share your secret below!

4 comments:

  1. I so agree with the electronics..we limit our kids to one hr/day TOTAL screen time..that means everything..phones, computer, tv etc..it keeps them more grounded than any of their peers! and they are not missing a thing! I am your newest follower..pls follow back if you can!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never heard of postsecret before. Sounds really cool. I love the one you've chosen here. I think I agree. I can't say for sure bc I really love my electronics!

    I'm a new fb follower from the s.m. hop (via personal account so it counts). It would be great if you could stop by my page when you get the chance :) My Baby Sleep Guide

    Thanks,
    Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. YES!! The linky is now up!! I am SO SO SORRY that I got it up this late. From now on, I'll make sure to have it up by noon (central time). It didn't register with me until this evening that there might be other people wondering where the heck the linky is! lol. So very sorry. Thank you for stopping by and checking though. I really appreciate it, and can't wait to read your post!

      Delete